by zAutos.com on March 9, 2014
THE 2014 FORD F150 SUPERCREW PICKUP TRUCK REVIEW
Full Car Review by Andy: Tried and True
The 2014 Ford F-150 is not redesigned. It is not refreshed. No one attacked it with a pencil and tape measure. It is not new. Ford has kept its eyes on its hands and its hands on its work, and the latest F-150 remains the same dutiful laborer it ever was – which may be a reason to buy it.
Next year, the F-150 swaps out carbon steel for aluminum. Bought from Alcoa, certified military-grade, aluminum metal will account for up to 97 percent of the truck’s body. The frame remains high-strength steel. Ford hopes to shed 700 pounds or more, giving fuel economy a rocket-fueled boost. Yet some worry about the aluminum’s longevity; others complain about swollen insurance premiums and increased maintenance costs. Aluminum → Read More
by zAutos.com on March 8, 2014
THE 2014 INFINITI Q60 COUPE REVIEW
Full Car Review by Andy: Old-School Gets Renamed
Infiniti offers the Interior Accents Package for the Q60 Coupe, a $600 option that glazes the dashboard and doors with glossy maple accents. Many customers might choose the Navigation package, which adds its namesake and full Bluetooth connectivity. A standard rearview camera is a beloved favorite.
Personally, I prefer my maples burning red under a thick autumn breeze. I’ll pack a road atlas before I rely on a GPS, and the only thing I want to see in my rearview mirror is the deep-sea blue of a receding horizon. But for muppies (Mature Upwardly Mobile Professionals), the Infiniti Q60 promises a red carpet night on the town. It caters to an urban world earmarked by adrenaline. Fitted with a luxurious interior for 90 percent of the time spent driving and a roiling engine for the other 10 percent, the Q60 offers equal parts comfort, status and fun. → Read More
by zAutos.com on March 3, 2014
THE 2014 TOYOTA CAMRY HYBRID SEDAN REVIEW
Full Car Review by Andy: A Hybrid That Lacks Edge
At the turn of the century, hybrid automobiles were as popular as pocket protectors, both often owned by the same people. Then the Toyota Hybrid hatchback cannonballed in 2003, making hybrids popular but still weird. In 2004, the game changed. Honda introduced the Accord Hybrid, a dumpy eco-efficient sedan, and anything that Honda can do, Toyota decided it could do better.
Two years later, Toyota brought forth a fully fleshed out hybrid, all-electric mode and all, and began to suck up sales like a vacuum cleaner. For the first time, hybrids were normal, unobtrusive automobiles that anyone, Greenpeace subscriber or not, could own.
Now, on the eve of 2013, the Camry Hybrid’s former master stroke may be its deathblow. → Read More
by zAutos.com on March 2, 2014
THE 2014 NISSAN ROGUE REVIEW
Full Car Review by Andy: Without the Makeup
In 2006, as part of the “Campaign for Real Beauty,” Dove released a video called “Evolution.” Using a time-lapse film, it punched through the veneer of makeup marketing by showing a normal woman transformed through makeup and digital enhancement into a supermodel vixen. “No wonder our perception of beauty is distorted,” concludes Dove.
Not that the Nissan Rogue would know much about beauty. Nissan ripped a page from Subaru’s book and flattened the compact crossover into a vehicle that, if not for its extra inches of ground clearance, could pass as a wagon. Has anyone at Nissan ever heard of symmetry?
The Rogue’s aesthetic crimes notwithstanding, → Read More